Cheap Android phone is a good phone now




One of the problems I have is when someone who writes about technology, that there are certain types of technologies - especially post-PC technology - which do not really understand the living can. The problem is that if you are like me and feel a level of affection for your smartphone over indecency, tried using a phone that is not your ordinary life is actually pretty difficult.

But when I asked questions about the Z10 BlackBerry research, the feeling that I needed to know more about Android. The phone I use last year was an iPhone 4S. I have Android kit. For the job, but it's not the same as living with her I bought a Nexus 4, when he returned to action in the UK, with the idea. Spending little money as possible, because it assumes that the two did not disappoint as the first and second generation Android devices

What I got was an incredibly good phone, and within an hour my iPhone had been relegated to the "List of phones that used to wear." If you consider that a year or two to iPhone Android was also a Fight Like a Stone Age tribe does not go against a team of travel F-15, now a cheap Android phone is a great phone. And that's a real problem for Apple, and Microsoft and BlackBerry.

Price
My affection for the Nexus 4 appears from the fact that it is so cheap to contain, but the low price is a bit of a trap. By the case of direct sales via Google, the end customer has not paid the fees of various intermediaries in the chain - namely the carrier, the wholesalers and retailers who. Google takes a small hit - LG, the device must remain happy and not pale in comparison to the traditional distribution. All this means that the UK is a Nexus 4 16GB for $ 279 including taxes (about $ 450) had to be. In the U.S., the 16GB model is going for $ 349 plus tax. (If you take taxes and the tax gradually it is almost the same price in the United States and the United Kingdom, which is unusual.)

You can use this cheap phone is faster (which is) good and (so). As technologists, we know that the product has a high score for cheap, fast, and should be quite possible. Nexus 4 is impossible - it feels good, the screen is big and bright (4.7 "), is fast and fluid (sorry, Microsoft).

The fact that I may be able to was to take four Nexus in my daily life, all are explained by the "usefulness". Nexus 4 is just me personally, a utility value in the vicinity of my iPhone 4, however, half the cost of a new iPhone is 5

I started with "usefulness" as a way of thinking about ecosystems. We tend to speak an ecosystem platform, but actually more subtle. Each platform has a number of device ecosystem - an ecosystem of applications (ie applications catalog available), an ecosystem of content (such as iTunes or Google Play), and a storage ecosystem. (This use to think, as if I write a document in Office 2013, that could save to SkyDrive, and it is on all my devices. You can also call it an "ecosystem workflow.") To L usefulness of this may vary operating conditions and can be subdivided according to the use of modes. Buy, for example, only with iTunes movies for children, not to watch a movie from iTunes on an Android phone does not affect me at all did. I use a small set of applications on a smartphone, but I tend to every day, so useful in this catalog misapplication too low for me. each will obviously meet the diverse needs of ecosystems that are willing to work for money.

It is clumsy and obvious, but in theory, it could be a utility platform by clicking to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each eco areas within a specific mode. For me, that was not the iPhone came out, it occurred too far from the partition 4 Nexus. I'm not sure I'm capable of, which is especially unique. (I hope to write more about this idea of ​​this month.)

Trouble
This is a problem for Apple. During the period prior to a technician if I did not ask what phone should I buy always says "iPhone". ("It works".) Now that I have a Nexus 4, I can not do. On the other hand, I personally do not see why I'd never buy a new iPhone because I now I'm with a different portion of the money going to know on a smaller screen, better build quality, and acquire the theoretical possibility of a good applications . (The developers still tend to iOS, Android focus and move on.) Also get Siri conjecture.

Of course, all of this is a problem for Apple, it will be terrible for the BlackBerry and Microsoft, and the "third platform" slot. (Fighting for the uninitiated, that's the idea that the market is dominated by a support platform other than iOS or Android. BlackBerry and Microsoft are currently struggling to sell this part.) Thought While before I was an interesting intellectual exercise I wonder now if it's just a mythical beast and directly the best that any competitor can do for this page to keep a toehold in the market and wait for a decisive reorientation-slash-destructive market where you sort of a "first mover" advantage may Following this destruction.

A central element of the "third platform" problem is that the market remains both are already low. United States occurred during the last quarter of 2012, Android and iOS, for. 95 percent of the market Therefore, Microsoft and BlackBerry are struggling for a wedge into the slot and make it bigger. This means among market shares proportional either Android or iOS. It's easy to attack Apple on price, but on the Android usefulness attack can be very difficult. Could create responsive to both the problem and come to a third platform apps weedling problem from the perspective of Apple offer a cheaper iPhone. It's a scenario could be described as a nuclear explosive device, but now I am as "probable." iPhone needs a reboot -. looks cheaper, modern (iPhone has a problem-mode) and a larger screen.

And it's not just on smartphones. I do not like it, so no longer use, Nexus 7, because the screen is the right size and the wrong way. Widescreen content on the tables portrait and landscape format to chubby content too wide. 04:03 iPad is the American model of letter-size paper much, much better, even if reduced to a mini-screen 8 "'m afraid it's just that the utility of the correct aspect ratio for me holds the iPad -. 7 I guess that utility Nexus offers good enough for other factors.

Completion
Everyone has something to lose here. Apple has lost its main distinguishing feature - the iPhone is obviously not better than a strong fourth generation of Android devices. Microsoft and Blackberry will witness a nuclear war between the two rivals and outgun any way, leaving only scorched earth and irradiated they try to thrive in. And if Google is going to win this battle, not winning the war. The big problem I see for Google is that Samsung is now so powerful in the Android Market, which has become clear that Android is actually a product of Samsung and Google begins. But that's another story for another day .
Meanwhile, I have a very good mobile phone, which is really cheap. Satisfied customer is happy.